Q-tips in a Jar

This is a simple activity that requires a little bit of prep work, but then minimal supervision after that.  It's easy to take on-the-go and it is pretty quiet.


Age:

14-15 months (Use caution with young children who like to stick things in their mouth, because some of the objects used can be a choking hazard.)




Skills:

 Fine Motor and Problem Solving

Materials:  

  • Plastic Jar (An old parmesan cheese container is perfect; tupperware, or peanut butter jars work as well)
  • Q-tips, Cut-up Straws, Plastic Spoons, Pom Poms or other small objects to put in the jar
  • Screw Driver/Knife (If you are not using a parmesan cheese container)

How to:

This activity is pretty simple.  I have done several variations on this activity and I will show each one.

The first time I did it I used a tall storage container and some q-tips:
The storage container is actually the smallest one from this set I got at Walmart and I've had it hanging around.  I heated up the end of a screwdriver using my stove (exercise caution :-P) and then "screwed" and melted the holes into the top of the container.  Ephraim loved this container because he could take the lid off by himself when he was done and dump out the q-tips.  I later expanded the middle hole so that he could fit his little plastic spoons through it, and he loved that.

The next thing I tried was a tupperware container with pom poms:
I actually used a knife and some scissors to cut the hole in the lid.  Ephraim liked the pom poms, but not as much as the q-tips and spoons.

Then one day I finished of our parmesan cheese and I had a brilliant idea:
This container was the easiest solution.  The holes on one side were the perfect size for q-tips and the opening on the other side was perfect for his spoons.  I wish I had thought of this first.  Ephraim also enjoys turning it upside down and shaking everything out when he is done.

Verdict:

This activity was a huge success! This activity is Ephraim's favorite activity at this age.  He just loves putting things in other things. He still hasn't gotten tired of it after about a month, and it really holds his attention.  I love this activity for church, or other places where Ephraim has to sit relatively still and be mostly quiet (a tall feat for any toddler).

No comments:

Post a Comment